Reason codes in Time Portal help us track our 3/4 guarantee for H-2A workers. Below are step by step instructions on how to configure Time Portal for H-2A workers and also how to apply reason codes.
1. To apply reason codes on a time sheet, we first need to ensure that Track H-2A Workers is turned on in our company settings.
Need more how-to information on turning this feature on? Please visit: Configure your company settings
2. We need to add our worker contracts into the system. Worker contracts can be setup under the lists menu.
a. Next, click on the green Create Worker Contract button.
Below is an image of an example contract. We need to make sure we calculate our "Total" contract hours for the specified time period. This number is used when ensuring we meet the 3/4 guarantee.
b. After our contract is added, we need to add our employees to the contract. This can be accomplished in two ways. First, we can click the Add/Remove Employees button located on the contract and then select each employee for the contract.
The second method, is to use the Import Spreadsheet. The import spreadsheet allows us to copy the contract number into the Contract Number column on the employees tab and then import that data into Time Portal. This will update each employee record with the appropriate contract number.
3. We need to ensure that our workers are marked as being H-2A. To quickly update our workers if we haven't already, we can use the Import Spreadsheet again to mark each worker with TRUE, 1, y, or yes under the Is H2A column. (see above image)
4. Next, lets setup our reason codes. Reason codes can be added under the lists menu. By default, Time Portal adds a reason code called No Show. This code is used as a default reason meaning the "Worker refused hours". We can add as many reasons as we wish. The important part to understand is the flag on each reason code called Hours Refused. If this flag is on, this tells the system that the worker refused hours and to count those refused hours towards that worker's 3/4 guarantee. If the flag is off, the missed hours are excused and do not count towards that worker's 3/4 guarantee.
5. Now, Time Portal is ready to start tracking your H2A workers. After we have approved our time sheets for the day, we can navigate to the Hours Offered screen.
6. This screen will give us a daily summary for each worker. To see our worker summaries, we will select the days we want to view, then we will click Search.
7. This will generate and display our H2A workers' summaries for that day. On this screen we see Hours Worked, Daily Contract Hours, Hours Offered, and Reason Codes. (1) We can enter hours offered individually for each worker by keying in a value into the text box or (2) we can select multiple workers by clicking the Select button and using the check boxes on the far left side of the screen and then (3) clicking the Bulk Edit button. This will allow us to add hours offered in bulk. Another way to bulk select records is (4) by holding the Ctrl key on our key board and clicking the first record we want to select. Then we hold the Shift key and click the last record we want to select. This will select all records in-between.
8. Notice that we have one worker (1) who did not meet daily contract hours or hours offered. We will apply a reason code to this worker by (2) clicking the pencil next to this worker and (3) clicking the drop down button. This will allow us to select why this worker did not meet hours. (4) I applied the code of "NS", which is a code for No Show in my account.
9. Once we are done reviewing our daily records, we can run the Worker Contract Summary report located under the Report menu to see how the workers are meeting their 3/4 guarantee.