In this article, we will discuss the import results screen and how to use it.
When we import/resubmit a time sheet template, Time Portal will analyze the data within the template and try and find any potential issues. These potential issues, if found, are returned to us in the form of Errors and Warnings. Time Portal also provides us with summary data that helps us determine if the data that will be imported is accurate. Let's review each of these results and understand how it can help us.
The first and most obvious summary result is the Totals Comparison. This is a quick high level verification that the calculations in the spreadsheet and Time Portal both return the same result. The first total displayed is the actual written total value in the spreadsheet. This is the value that the spreadsheet calculated while entering data into it. The second total is the total calculated by Time Portal when reading and interpreting the data. These two values should match. If they do not match, then we know that something is incorrect. Please see the article What Could Cause a Totals Mismatch for more information.
Another summary result that Time Portal provides us with on this screen is the Total Wages Summary by Crew. This data is not displayed by default but, it can easily be viewed by clicking on the "View details" link.
Clicking the "View details" link will display the Summary tab which contains a wage summary by crew. This is a summation of the data that was entered into the spreadsheet. It provides a break down from a high level of the entered data. It provides the following information:
- Crew Name - The employees entered into the spreadsheet are assigned to a crew and will be summarized by that crew here.
- Piece Hours - This is the number of hours that were worked while being paid by the piece.
- Regular Hours - This is the number of hours that were worked by the hour.
- Total Hours - This is the total number of hours worked. This should equal the Piece Hours + Regular Hours.
- Piece Pay - This is the calculated pay for piece production.
- Regular Pay - This is the calculated pay for regular hours.
- Minimum Pay - This is the minimum required pay based on the minimum wage rate multiplied by the total hours.
- Makeup Pay - This is the minimum wage makeup pay, if any, required to meet minimum wage.
- Total Wages - This is the calculated total wages. This should equal Regular Pay + Piece Pay.
Errors and Warnings
As mentioned above, Time Portal will attempt to find any issues prior to importing data. If any errors are found, the result screen is not shown but, instead an error list is provided with all errors found.
!Important - All errors must be corrected in order to import the data into Time Portal
Time Portal tries to provide us with as detailed messages as possible to help us quickly find the issues in the spreadsheet to make corrections. The error messages below narrow the issues down by worker and date as well as provides us the reason why the error occurred. Once we have made the needed corrections in the spreadsheet, we will click the "OK" button on the error list and then re-import the spreadsheet. Repeat this process until all errors are resolved.
Time Portal will also issue warnings when reviewing the import data. Warnings do NOT block the import process but, it is highly recommended that the warnings are reviewed/addressed so that the data is imported as we intended it to be.
If warnings are found, a small message will be displayed on the import results screen.
To view the warnings, again click on the "View details" button and then
- Click on the "Warnings" tab.
- Review the list of warning messages.