Over the past few months, we have been working hard to improve Time Portal. We’ve rebuilt much of the plumbing using a Google platform that gives you the speed of a desktop application and gives us new tools to more quickly deliver requested features.
Many features have been fully replaced by the new platform but for the next few weeks, certain modules such as Time Sheets and Hours Offered will be available to you in the old and new format. We encourage you to start using the new versions but will continue to make the “classic” version available for your use through the end of Spring.
- Import and export time sheets via Excel - Time Sheet data can now be imported via an Excel spreadsheet.
- Grouping - Time Sheet Records and Hours Offered now allow grouping of the data on the table. This is helpful when working with large data sets.
Time Sheets List
The new time sheets list offers some additional features.
- Data Origin - Displayed in the first column of the table is an icon that displays where the time sheet originated from. This could be from a mobile device, the website, or through the time sheet import. The icon represents the data origin. Hovering your mouse over the icon will name the source.
- An additional filter has been added that allows you to filter by multiple statuses at a time.
The new Time Sheet screen has a lot of new feature available
- A totals summary has been added to the time sheet. This summary will summarize Pieces, Hours, Piece Pay, Hourly Pay, Makeup (makeup is calculated for the time sheet only and does not accurately reflect the entire pay period's makeup), Total Pay, Overtime Pay and more. Only totals that are relevant to the specific time sheet are shown. Others are hidden.
- Time sheets and time records can now be permanently deleted. This has been a highly requested feature.
- Now a time sheet date can be changed. If a time sheet was mistakenly created for the wrong day, the entire time sheet can be updated by editing the time sheet header and modifying the date. This will also adjust all the time records to the appropriate date.
- By default, the time sheet will open with the "Details" tab selected. This is the normal view that everyone is use to. A new view has been added called "Summary" that will group all similar data together and offer a simplified view of the data. This is very helpful when you have workers that are clocking in and out at the same time. The data can also be edited as a group from the summary tab making updates very efficient. The data is grouped based on Time In, Time Out, Hourly Rate, Piece Rate, Location, Crop Variety, and Job.
- Data on the "Details" tab can now be grouped. See the grouping item above for more information.
- Additional columns can be added/removed from the "Details" tab's table by clicking on the settings button and selecting "Show/Hide Extra Columns". The extra columns that are currently available are: Time In Date, Time Out Date and Minimum Wage.
- Time Portal will now check for overlapping times. This has occurred in the past when workers have been mistakenly clocked in on two different crews' time sheets. If an overlap has occurred, Time Portal will now show you this under the "Audit" tab. Additional auditing capabilities will be added in the future to help ensure minimum mistakes and clean data.
- We have added an "About" tab to the time sheet that displays metadata such as the Device Serial Number, Data Origin, the version of Time Portal Mobile running on the device and also the time zone that the data was collected in. You can also change the time zone here. This is helpful in case a crew leader accidentally has their time zone incorrectly set on their tablet.
- Totals have been added to the bottom of the tables for Hours and Pieces.
- Quick links have been added to help speed up selecting employees on the time sheet. The first link allows you to set the Employees drop down list to the entire crew of the current time sheet. The second link allows you to select only the employees that are currently on the time sheet. This is helpful if only a subset of the crews workers are on the time sheet. Using this link allows you to quickly select everyone and not have to worry about finding each individual worker.
The list screens allow you to review information such as Employees, Crews, Jobs, Worker Contracts and Crop Varieties. You may notice that each of these screens, accessible from the Lists menu, has very similar features:
- Filters, on the left-hand side, allow you to retrieve a subset of data.
- A Search Box, on the right-hand side, lets you quickly locate records within the retrieved data. On the Employees List, for example, you can start typing any part of a name, employee number or badge number to quickly locate a specific employee.
- To view the details of a record, you can click or tap anywhere on the row instead of having to hit a button. This makes the list much more mobile friendly.
Some list items have relationships with others. For example, a Worker Contract may be associated with numerous employees.
- New bulk-selection features allow you to quickly select large numbers of related records to associate. On the Worker Contract screen, for example, you can add or remove many employees at a time.
You may notice the Payroll tab on screens such as Employee, Crew, Location, Job or Company are now labeled with the name of your payroll system rather than the word “Payroll”.
The Location screen now includes a Google Map onto which you can place a “pin” to mark a geographical location. If you create a location record to represent a land block you can now list the crop varieties which are grown therein.
You can now define more than one Unit of Measure per Crop Variety. For example, you might indicate that both bushels and bins are valid UOMs for Navel Oranges.
- Wage Rules now support Break Pay / Non Productive Time calculations. This is helpful for anyone who works in western states like California, Washington or Oregon.
- The Worker Contract screen has always let you enter starting/ending dates as well as total hours for a worker contract. Now, Time Portal lets you enter a different “total hours” number for workers that have a delayed start date. Reports and onscreen indicators will use this custom value when calculating ¾ guarantee or contract completion percentages.
- The Data Import feature has several improvements including a better preview experience after uploading an Excel file but before actually importing the data. A new import column “New Employee Number” lets you bulk change employee numbers.
- Time Portal can now track minimum wage independently of the hourly rate. We have added new fields for tracking minimum wage at the Company, Crew, Job and Employee levels. Prior to this release, Time Portal assumed that the minimum wage was the "Hourly Rate". This caused issues when the Hourly Rate needed to be different than the minimum wage in certain situations. This change now allows us to calculate minimum wage adjustments independently of the hourly rate.
- The Reports Menu has now been replaced with a new Reports Screen that groups reports by purpose and includes on-demand explanations for each report.
- New "Crew Summary" report - This report has been designed to work like the existing Job, Crop Variety and Location Summary reports and will provide performance information by Crew.
- New "Non Productive Time Adjustment" report - This report calculates the makeup pay required to bring the worker to minimum wage for non productive time / travel time. This report can be found under the "Summary Reports" section on the reports page.
- Worker Contract Summary report performance boost
- Employee Hours Offered performance boost
- Site wide performance increase
- New date calendar
- New drop down lists
- Time Sheets page now supports filtering by multiple crews and statuses
- Improved filtering on Lists screens - We have added additional filtering options to the left side of the list screens. These filters are saved when you click on the Search button. This means the next time you return to that screen, Time Portal will filter the data the same way for you
The following improvements have been made to the program.
- We have moved the Hours Offered Settings from the company page to the Hours Offered screen. These settings can now be accessed by clicking the settings button at the top of the screen. The following settings were moved:
- Hours Offered Default Type
- Hours Offered Default Value
- The Hours Offered screen can now be run for a date range rather than for just a single day. This will allow you to process hours offered for an entire pay period vs processing each individual day at a time.
- Additional filters have been added such as Employees and whether or not the worker is currently on a contract. Hours offered can now be processed for workers who are not currently on a contract. This is helpful in case you want to setup your contract at later date but, would like to go ahead and process hours offered.
- Each hours offered record displayed in the table will now show the average hours worked for the crew. This average excludes any outliers.
- Number fields on lists were causing error to occur.
- Time Sheets list can now load when crews and statuses parameters are null.
- Payroll page now properly displays busy spinner and error messages.