In this article, we are going to review the Download Template screen for the Time Sheet Import program.
If we want to import data into Time Portal via Excel, we first need to download one of two templates from the Download Template page. To get to the Download Template page, lets navigate to the Import Time Sheets page by clicking on Import > Import Time Sheets.
Next, lets click on the Download Template button located at the top left corner of the Time Sheet Imports screen.
We are now on the Download Template page. This page allows us to configure the templates prior to download. Time Portal will use the selected criteria to dynamically build the spreadsheet for you. i.e. Time Portal will automatically write your employees' and other information into the spreadsheet so that you don't have to. This can be a huge time saver.
Let's review the different options on this screen.
* - Denotes a required field.
- Template Type * - There are two different types of templates. There is a Weekly template and a Daily template. These two templates both contain the same information but, are formatted differently based on how you would like to enter your data. Please see these template's respective articles for full details on their format and use.
- Employees * - The Employee select box allows you to select the workers that you want added to the template. When the template is downloaded, Time Portal will dynamically write each worker you selected into the template. [hint] As workers come and go between pay periods, you can easily create a new template based on active workers by selecting them here and downloading the new template. There is no need to manually adjust your spreadsheet. Learn more about the Employee Drop Down List and how it works.
- Start Date * - This is the start date of the pay period. The template will be generated with this date plus the number of Pay Period Days. i.e. If we were to set the Start Date to January 1st and the Pay Period Days to 7 days, our template would be generated with the dates Jan 1st - Jan 7th.
- Payroll Date * - This is the date of Payroll for the pay period.
- Pay Period Days - This is the number of days for the pay period. This can either be 7 days or 14 days.
- Location - This is the location that can be assigned to the template.
- Hourly Pay Rate * - This is the default Hourly Rate for the template. This rate will be populated in the template for you when the template is generated.
- Piece Rates - This is the Piece Rates that will be populated into the template for you when the template is generated. Piece Rates can be entered by typing the number and pressing the Enter key. These values can easily be changed in the template if necessary.
- Extra Employee Section Count - This defines how many blank sections you would like generated for you at the bottom of the spreadsheet. These sections are useful when you don't have a worker in the spreadsheet and would like to add them on the fly.
Once we have filled out the criteria, we can then click the Download Template button and the template will be downloaded to our computer.